Prof. Shengyong Zhang (1939.11-) is the academician of National Academy of Engineering. He is a teacher of chemistry for Fudan university and the Fourth Military Medical University, respectively. Currently he is a professor and a Ph.D. supervisor in the Fourth Military Medical University. Prof. Zhang has trained 27 Ph.D. and M.S.，and he got numerous National and Military honors for his outstanding work for education.
Prof. Zhang has served as the member of the Chinese Chemical Society Committee and being the deputy director of Shaanxi Branch of the Chinese Chemical Society Member. Prof. Zhang is now the standing committee of the Military Medical Science and Technology Committee, vice president of Shaanxi Provincial Light Industry Association. Meanwhile he has been invited as a Visiting Professor for the Institute of “Chiral Drugs National Engineering Research Center”, as well as a Honor Professor at Northwest University and Shaanxi Normal University.
1. Asymmetric Catalysis
2. Synthesis of chiral drugs
3. Resolution of racemic compounds
4. Analysis,separation and determination of optical purity of chiral compounds.
So far from 1979 the chiral catalyst has been engaged in research, for example the design and synthesis of chiral ligands and chiral catalyst, and the asymmetric catalytic reactions. A number of key issues had been work out.
1. Two new synthetic methods on chiral phosphine ligands were established, which were based on the stereoselective Diels-Alder reaction and nucleophilic addition of chiral epoxides.
2. By introducing the –OH，-SO2- or any other polar group to cinchona alkaloid nuclear, a group of recyclable and reusable cinchona alkaloid derivatived ligands for Sharpless AD reaction was prepared. Via the ion- exchange technology bonding OsO4 to TentaGel resin, the recyclable and reusable catalyst TentaGel-OsO4 for AD reaction was obtained.
3. Novel chiral ligands based on cinchona alkaloids and their Rh and Ir complexes were designed and prepared, which were successfully used in the asymmetric hydrogen transfer reaction of prochiral ketones, resulted in up to 93% yield and 97% ee.
4. A group of new cinchona alkaloids ammonium salts were synthesized. And they have been successfully used in asymmetric phase-transfer catalysis and obtained up to 96% ee.
5. A series of new cinchona alkaloids catalysts were designed and synthesized in asymmetric “interrupted” Feist-Benary reaction, which got up to 91% yield and 94% ee.
6. D-phe, L-phe, anti-cancer drug taxol and docetaxel were first synthesized in an industrial scale by chiral catalysis in China.This work has made important contributions to improve the technologies of producing chemical pharmaceuticals and fine chemicals of China.
Awards and honors
1. The gold prize of scientific and technological progress of the army’s （1997, first author)
2. The bronze prize of State Technological Invention (1999, first author)
3. The gold prize of technological progress in Shaanxi Province (2004, first author )
4. The gold prize of technological progress in Shaanxi Province (2007, first author)
5. Science and Technology Development Foundation of China issued the “Drug Development Award” (2000)
6. “the Ninth Five-Year Plan ”army’s logistics major scientific achievement award (2000)
7. The entire army outstanding teachers (2004)
8. The national outstanding science and technology workers (2005)
9. The national honourable teachers (2006)
10. Enjoying the Government Special Allowances
Publications & Books
Published 4 monographs, such as 《Asymmetric Catalysis》,《Asymmetric Catalysis: new concepts and methods》,《Organometallic chemistry 》; 5 patents in China; 153 papers (of which 69 were included by SCI, 11 was included by EI).
8 textbooks, such as《Organic Chemistry》(editor-in-chief), 《Experiment Organic Chemistry》(joined editor) were published. 《Organic Chemistry》got the first and second prize of Excellent Teaching Materials by the State Education Commission.