The School of Biomedical Engineering was originally established in 1986 as the Department of Medical Electronic Engineering, offering four-year programs for undergraduates majoring in medical electronic engineering. In 1993, it was expanded and renamed as the School of Biomedical Engineering. The school was authorized to offer mater's degree in 1990 and doctoral degree in 1998, and was accredited to be a postdoctoral research station in the field of Biomedical Engineering (BME) in 2000. The BME Research Institute affiliated to the school was established in 1999 and become the military BME Institute in 2005. In 2001, the Military Medical Engineering Lab of the school was recognized as a Key PLA Laboratory.
The School consists of two student brigades and five departments including Department of Mathematics and Physics, Department of Computer Application, Department of Electronics, Department of Medical Electronic Engineering, and Department of Military Medical Equipment and Metrology. With more than twenty years' development, its active and productive faculty has made great achievements in specific research areas of military medical engineering, including military medical instrumentation, biomedical signal detecting and processing, biological effect of physical factors, medical image processing, and multimedia network database.
The School aims at preparing students with a solid foundation that will benefit them throughout their military careers. Until now, there have been 1731 graduates (1403 students taught by correspondence), 330 graduate students for master's degree, 30 students for Ph.D. degree, and 1 postdoc graduated from the school. It has undertaken 1 key project and 14 projects funded by NSFC, 6 key projects funded by military foundation, and about 50 projects supported by various funds. The research work in the school has been awarded a third-prize for Science and Technology Progress of China, 6 second-prizes for Science and Technology Progress of PLA, and 10 domestic patents. More than 10 products have been selected for expanded experiments and usage in the army. The faculty of the school has published over 600 journal papers, among them 37 papers indexed by SCI/EI, and more than 30 monographs.